05 2 / 2014
On May 10 and 11, at the New School, food and drink leaders from around the nation will gather for the 2014 Edible Institute, a 2-day discussion of the most important topics in the American food and drink movement. In addition to the Edible publishers — representing nearly 90 communities, from Edible Shasta Butte (northern California) to Edible Sarasota (Florida), and every delicious place in between — expect the room to be packed with wine and beer makers, food activists, agribusiness dropouts, culinary students, talks and panels by farmers, chefs, drink makers, journalists and food and drink enthusiasts (like you).
23 1 / 2014
Farmer’s Fridge is a food company with a unique product: a vending machine that sells salads packed in sealed, recyclable containers.
The company prepares gourmet salads, snacks, and breakfast food early in the morning from fresh produce that are organic and mostly locally sourced. The company prepares the food daily in a fully licensed shared kitchen then delivers the packed salads to the vending machines by 10 AM. Unsold salads are donated to a local food pantry.
21 1 / 2014
Crunchy, Minty, Less Sugar, More Sriracha And Fancier Condiments: Trends From The Winter Fancy Food Show
“These trends capture the creativity of specialty food producers, and the care they put into crafting exciting taste experiences, whether they are reinventing familiar products with unexpected flavors or opening an audience to lesser-known ingredients,” said Denise Purcell, Senior Director of Content for the Specialty Food Association, and one of this year’s trendspotters.”
- The Jam Stand, Not Just Peachy, Sriracha Jam, Booth 5610A
- Hope Foods, Hope Hummus Organic Sriracha Hummus, Booth 1473
- Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks, Simply Spicy Sriracha Tortilla Chips, Booth 1388
- The Popcorn Factory, Lite Works Popcorn! Sriracha, Booth 446
- Vintage Italia, Pasta Chips, New Brands on the Shelf (Aisle 200)
- Simply 7, Quinoa Chips, Booth 1654
- Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks, Pitaaah Chips, Booth 1388
- 479?Popcorn, Toasted Sesame + Seaweed Popcorn, Booth 431
- Rhythm Superfoods, Super Food Chips, Booth 2633
- Califia Farms, Pure Unsweetened Almond Milk, Booth 5406
- Xumma, Xumma Semi Sweet Cola, New Brands on the Shelf (Aisle 200)
- Bruce Cost Ginger Ale, Bruce Cost Ginger Ale “66”, Booth 246
- Numi Organic Tea, Indulgent Tea, Chocolate Earl Grey, Booth 884
- Big Tree Farms, Coco Hydro, Booth 2521
Commit to Mint
- Torn Ranch, Dark Chocolate Mint Mélange, Booth 645
- Silk Road Soda, Cucumber with Mint, New Brands on the Shelf (Aisle 200)
- GoodPop All-Natural Frozen Pops, Hibiscus Mint, Booth 5415
- Seely Mint, Mint Patties, Booth 240
- Victoria’s Kitchen, Mint & Licorice Almond Water, Booth 5507
Condiments Dressed Up
- Victoria Amory, Fine Herbs Mayonnaise, Booth 2508
- Stonewall Kitchen, Truffle Ketchup, Booth 624
- Fischer & Wieser, Salted Caramel Mustard Sauce, Booth 1470
- Amoretti, Premium Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil infused with Kalamata Olives, Booth 2710
- Lillie’s Q Barbeque Sauces & Rubs, Ivory, Booth 5200
27 12 / 2013
From alternative protein treats and 3D printed eats to breakfast-making robots and nutrient scanners, these futuristic food tech and food science innovations hope to make our food more accessible, sustainable and transparent.
11 12 / 2013
Neil Grimmer, co-founder and president of Plum Organics, a fast-growing producer of organic foods for babies, toddlers and children, will be the keynote speaker at the Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco.
Grimmer will talk about how his passion to ensure healthy eating “from high chair to the lunch box” has helped Plum skyrocket from start-up to $93 million brand in just six years. The event is presented by the Specialty Food Association, owner and producer of the Winter Fancy Food Show and the Social Venture Network.
Now in its 39th year, the show is the largest marketplace devoted exclusively to specialty foods and beverages on the West Coast. It takes place Jan. 19 – 21, 2014, at Moscone Center. Registration is open at www.fancyfoodshows.com. The keynote is 5 – 6 p.m. on opening day and open to all attendees at no charge.